Monday, January 16, 2012

Beans.

Living as a grad student's wife has taught me several things. I will list a few of them.
1) Never question the amount of books your husband buys on Amazon.
2) Mentally prepare for finals week at the beginning of each semester.
3) Always have coffee on hand.
4) Try your best to keep to a budget.
This last one is what I am struggling with now. Since I only cook vegetarian I want to fill the house with all sorts of amazing fruits and vegetables. Unfortunately, these tend to be a little pricey.
Also, I don't want us to eat the same things over and over again, which is what tends to happen. I fall easily into pasta ruts and happily stay there.
What scared me most about becoming vegetarian was that we would become more breadatarians or cheesatarians. Because that is easier. And I don't love salad. So I always have to be on watch, because if I let my guard down for even a day suddenly I realize that I have gone several meals without eating a vegetable. Which defeats the point right? Right.
But how do I put together delicious and healthy meals on a tight budget? I think I have found the answer.
Beans.
Filling, healthy, rich in protein. They really are magical. So, to be even more money savvy I am cooking up dried beans in the crock pot today. This is something I saw my mom do hundreds of times. I grew up on these beans. But have never done it myself because, well, let's face it...I'm rather lazy. Today that all changes. Today my beans will cook diligently while I am at work and I shall come home to a pot of goodness. At least this is my plan and if I somehow screw up slow cooked beans then I have other things to worry about.
I know beans will not solve all of my dilemmas; I still need to figure out how to incorporate more veggies. But, I will leave that to another time and just enjoy eating burritos, for the next ten meals...

No comments:

Post a Comment