Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Blueberries and Fireflies

Well, it is finally summer and the joy that brings me is almost too hard to describe.
It has been a couple months since I have updated this blog and truthfully I almost wrote a couple times, but couldn't think of anything to say. I think this was mostly due to the fact that this past spring was really hard for me. I felt myself spiraling farther into negativity and bitterness with each passing week. I am generally a positive-glass-half-full type of person, so seeing myself get caught up in the other direction was scary.
Thankfully, time and encouraging people in my life helped me get out of that slump and here I sit. Ready to write.
Today is the most beautiful day. There is no humidity, which, in my opinion, can be the death of a pretty day, and the birds are going crazy. One thing I do like about this little town is that there are a ridiculous amount of birds, bunnies, groundhogs, and squirrels. It is a little bit like living in a Disney movie at times. Also, fireflies. Or lightning bugs, as I used to call them growing up. It is amazing how much more magical night becomes when you see little flashing bugs.
Another element of summer that I am enjoying is fruit. My husband has been away for the past month so my diet has consisted of mostly fruit and salad. I have to say that usually I am a banana and apple kind of a girl, but with all of the peaches, blueberries, and strawberries around I have definitely expanded my horizons. Current obsession is blueberries. At first I would put a delicate scoop on my oatmeal in the morning, but now  I have begun snarfling them down by the handful (yes, snarfling). Also, the desire to make baked fruit items has increased exponentially. I actually made a strawberry coffee cake the other day spur of the moment.
I have to say that I am very excited about all the upcoming warm days and firefly filled nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment